Monday, October 29, 2012

Charity Knits Update

Now we have a Ravelry Group! http://www.ravelry.com/groups/monthly-charity-hats-in-2013-kal)  (We went from 2 members to 59 in roughly 24 hours, and I am getting excited!)

On the Rav group there is a thread about the charities you may choose to donate to.  Please look into your local options through Department of Social Services, homeless shelters, church and religious groups, and cancer support groups.  Many communities have Coats for Kids initiatives, as well as domestic abuse shelters, and foster care programs.  If you're still looking for a recipient, talk to your nearest hospital about charity donations.

Watching Hurricane Sandy wreak havoc on the East coast (and so many of my loved ones) makes me aware that there will also be many groups doing outreach support for those who are displaced or homeless in the path of the storm. 

Thanks for all your support!  I love that so many people want to start early!  You guys totally rock.

2 comments:

judy said...

hi--i live near buffalo,ny.i am currently knitting men's hats for teen challenge. have also sent a large box of hats to seamans church (google christmas at sea) hats for mariners. i kinda made up a simple men's hat pattern and for me, it knits up in 1 or 2 evenings. thx judy

Unknown said...

Dear Judy:

Is your pattern available anywhere? If you'd like to make it available to my group, please email it to me, and I'll post it with credit to you. I can be reached at esliney@yahoo.com. Thanks for your interest! Happy knitting!